Interstitial Cystitis (IC)
What is interstitial cystitis?
Interstitial cystitis (IC) / bladder pain syndrome (BPS) / Hypersensitive bladder syndrome (HBS) / Painful bladder syndrome (PBS) is a chronic bladder health issue. It is a feeling of pain, soreness and pressure in the bladder area. Along with this pain are lower urinary tract symptoms which have lasted for more than 6 weeks, without having an infection or other clear causes.
Currently there are two recognized subtypes of IC: non-ulcerative and ulcerative.
• Non-ulcerative: 90% of IC patients have the non-ulcerative form of IC. Non-ulcerative IC presents with pinpoint hemorrhages, also known as glomerulations, in the bladder wall. However, these are not specific for IC and any inflammation of the bladder can give that appearance.
These patients have true pelvic floor dysfunction (Kenneth Peters, MD)
• Ulcerative: 5 to 10% of IC patients have the ulcerative form of IC. These patients usually have Hunner's ulcers or patches, which are red, bleeding areas on the bladder wall. Diagnosed via Cystoscopy by a Urologist.
Signs and symptoms can include:
• Bladder pain with urination
• Frequency and Urgency
• Suprapubic pain
• Lower abdominal pain
• Painful intercourse
• Nocturia with sleep disturbance
• Hesitancy and decrease urine flow
• Incomplete bladder voiding
• Recurrent UTI
Special techniques along with traditional pelvic floor therapy:
• Arvigo technique
• Visceral mobilization
• Cold laser
• Real time ultrasound (to view bladder function)
What's The Next Step?
At Pelvic Health Physical Therapy, our certified physical therapists will provide you with a thorough evaluation to determine what the best treatment plan will be for you. We understand how inhibiting pain and stiffness can be, and we want to help get you back to comfortably living your life. We'll help lift all of your physical stresses away!
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to book an appointment, or call our office at 908-443-9880.
My First Visit
Are you ready to live pain free?Request An Appointment
Connect With Us
Review Us on Google
78 Main Street, Madison, NJ 07940