Proctalgia Fugax (Anal / Rectal Pain)
Anal pain — pain in and around your anus or rectum (perianal region) — is a common complaint. Although most causes of anal pain are benign, the pain itself can be severe because of the many nerve endings in the perianal region.
Many conditions that cause anal pain may also cause rectal bleeding, which is usually more frightening than serious.
The causes of anal pain usually can be easily diagnosed. Anal pain usually can be treated with over-the-counter pain relievers and hot water soaks (sitz baths).
Causes of anal pain include:
• Anal cancer
• Anal fissure (a small tear in the lining of the anal canal)
• Anal itching (pruritus ani)
• Anal sex
• Anorectal fistula (an abnormal channel between the anus or rectum usually to the skin near the anus)
• Coccydynia or coccygodynia (tailbone pain)
• Crohn's disease
• Diarrhea causing anal irritation
• Fecal impaction (a mass of hardened stool in the rectum due to chronic constipation)
• Hemorrhoids (swollen and inflamed veins in your anus or rectum)
• Levator ani syndrome (spasm in the muscles that surround the anus)
• Perianal abscess (pus in the deep tissue around the anus)
• Perianal hematoma (a collection of blood in the perianal tissue caused by a ruptured vein, sometimes called an external hemorrhoid)
• Proctalgia fugax (fleeting pain due to rectal muscle spasm)
• Proctitis (inflammation of the lining of the rectum)
• Solitary rectal ulcer syndrome (ulcer of the rectum)
• Thrombosed hemorrhoid (blood clot in a hemorrhoid)
• Ulcerative colitis (a type of inflammatory bowel disease)
• Ulcerative proctitis (a type of inflammatory bowel disease)
What's The Next Step?
At Pelvic Health Physical Therapy, our certified physical therapists will provide you with a thorough evaluation to determine what the best treatment plan will be for you. We understand how inhibiting pain and stiffness can be, and we want to help get you back to comfortably living your life. We'll help lift all of your physical stresses away!
78 Main Street, Madison, NJ 07940