SIBO (Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth)
What is SIBO?
Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO), defined as excessive bacteria in the small intestine, remains a poorly understood disease. Initially thought to occur in only a small number of patients, it is now apparent that this disorder is more prevalent than previously thought. Patients with SIBO vary in presentation, from being only mildly symptomatic to suffering from chronic diarrhea, weight loss, severe dehydration, malnutrition, excessive gas, and indigestion. Recently there has been renewed interest in SIBO and its putative association with irritable bowel syndrome.
Causes of SIBO:
• your small bowel has anatomic abnormalities
• decrease stomach acidity
• decrease flora in the gut
• the pH changes in your small bowel
• your immune system isn't working properly
• the muscular activity of the small intestine malfunctions, which means that food and bacteria aren't removed from the organ
Signs and Symptoms:
• bloating and increased passing of gas (flatulence)
• diarrhea or constipation
• abdominal pain
What's The Next Step?
At Pelvic Health Physical Therapy, our certified physical therapists will provide you with a thorough evaluation to determine what the best treatment plan will be for you. We understand how inhibiting pain and stiffness can be, and we want to help get you back to comfortably living your life. We'll help lift all of your physical stresses away!
78 Main Street, Madison, NJ 07940