Vulvodynia / Vestibulitis
What is vulvodynia?
Vulvodynia is pain that affects the external female genital area, called the vulva, lasts for 3 months or longer, and is not caused by an infection, skin disorder, or other medical condition. Patients tend to have a hard time with intercourse, personal hygiene, tight clothes, sitting and bowel movement due to pain.
What are some of the possible causes of vulvodynia?
Vulvodynic is likely caused by many factors working together. Some of these factors include:
• Damage or irritation of the nerves of the vulva or surrounding regions
• Inflammation of the vulva
• Long-term reactions to certain infections (yeast or UTI)
• Certain genetic disorders
• Sensitivity to certain foods
• Dysfunction of the muscles of the pelvic floor
• Conditions that affect nearby muscles or bones
• Chronic constipation
What's The Next Step?
At Pelvic Health Physical Therapy, our certified physical therapists will provide you with a thorough evaluation to determine what the best treatment plan will be for you. We understand how inhibiting pain and stiffness can be, and we want to help get you back to comfortably living your life. We'll help lift all of your physical stresses away!
78 Main Street, Madison, NJ 07940